Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day Mojo

I'll admit it...I am quite the procrastinator. It is the night before Mother's day, and I just now finished my Mom's card. I thought I'd use the sketch from Julee's blog. I asked my mom if she had any requests for her card (she stamps too), and she said she would like me to use her new set, Garden Whimsy. The butterfly from that set was stamped in Brilliance Pearlescent Sky Blue ink and has a lovely shimmer, the camera actually caught some of it at the top. Then I stamped the same butterfly in black on the orange Bali Breeze paper and attached just the wings that I had previously stamped. There is also Stickles glittering up the little white dots on the butterfly, that one the camera didn't catch.
The Mom sentiment was stamped with an Studio G alphabet, and then I added a line of piercing. Just above that, I attached this American Crafts ribbon. You can't see it in the photo, but it has tiny white polka dots on it. The sheer Maya Road flower started out plain, but I ran it through the Cuttlebug with the Swiss dots folder and highlighted the edge with a Sharpie. For the center of the flower, I created a Build-a-Brad with a punch of the Bali Breeze paper.
I created the background by using the front and back pattern of the same sheet of the patterned paper. So all I had to do was cut one big piece for the background, and when I cut that piece into the rectangles, I just turned 2 of the pieces around.....BAM, instant background. To finish off the background, I sewed around each piece. I am still learning to sew, so it's not very straight, but I'm told that is the "fashion" for sewing anyway, LOL! Anyway, the last step to finishing this card was to lift the focal piece by attaching it with Pop Dots.
P.S. I didn't realize that I made the background backwards until it was all finished and glued down! But it does still follow the sketch! Honest!
Supplies for Mom card
Garden Whimsy stamp set, Studio G alphabet stamp set,
Brilliance Pearlescent Sky Blue ink, Versafine Onyx Black ink,
SU Bali Breeze designer paper, Old Olive cs, Pumpkin Pie cs, GP white cs,
Stickles glitter glue, American Crafts ribbon, sewing machine,
Maya Road Sheer flower, Cuttlebug and Swiss Dots embossing folder,
SU Pewter Build-a-Brad kit, paper piercer, pop dots

3 comments:

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

So sparkly and gorgeous! Love the stitching. :)

Lastel said...

Very pretty !

Kim Ross said...

Lovely card! You've got one lucky mom! :) Great to see you both the other day!!