Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Good Try

Hi, a few weeks back Jacksonbelle had posted that she was looking for a Design Team. I thought I'd try out for it, and so I am going to show you the 2 cards I made for the submissions. I didn't make it...but, at least I can say that I tried!

For card #1, I bought this butterfly stamp in an Inkadinkado set from Jacksonbelle's store. I got the idea to cut it out and use only one of the wings, so it looked as if the butterfly was landing on something. I wondered what for awhile, and then came up with a sentiment. I already had these Heidi Swapp acrylic letters, and the Boxer 6x6 pad - so I glued each letter to some of the Boxer paper with Crystal Effects, and cut and sanded where needed. After that, they were adhered to the white cardstock and I rounded the corners. The Rust cs from SU was a good match to the flowers in the patterned paper, so I used that as the mat, and once again rounded the corners with a punch. I picked out this soft blue cs for the base, and decided to stamp the butterfly on it as well. Once stamped, I colored the 'body' black with a marker and cut out. I knew the antennae would be difficult to cut, so I tried inking it up with a black marker and stamping direct to cardstock. It gave me a faint line, but didn't go so well over the 3 layers, so I traced the faint line with the fine tip end of the same marker. Only the body is adhered so that the wing stands out. The final touches to this card was the ribbon, and the dotted Liquid Pearls on the wing. By the way, I believe the Boxer pad is also for sale at Jacksonbelle Embellishments.

---> For card #2, I had also bought some Crate brand rub-ons, from which the Superstar sentiment comes. (I just looked at her store and I don't believe these are still available.) I really liked the Superstar rub-on, so I looked through my stamps and found my Rockabella from Stamping Bella. She was perfect! I paper pieced her clothes and guitar with various Boxer papers, and colored her skin and hair with markers. A Stardust pen added some glitz to the guitar strings and cord, and a green Stardust for her eyeshadow. I cut her *out of the box* and then mounted it on the same Boxer paper that I used for the guitar. Autumn Leaves swirls stamped in chalk ink brought out the corners, and the rub-on that started it all was applied to vellum. I wanted the vellum to pop a bit, so I carefully mounted it with a very small strip of foam tape, and only on the white cs. Even though it shows, the tape and the background are both white, and it doesn't distract anything. I wanted just a bit more, so I stuck on the bling.
Even though I didn't make the team, I'm still glad I tried out. I hope to have the time to try out for other options, and you never know I just might make it!
Supplies for card #1
Heidi swapp acrylic alphabet, Basic Grey Boxer 6x6 paper, Crystal Effects,
Georgia Pacific white cs, Really Rust cs, and Archivers light blue cs,
Inkadinkado Patterned Bugs stampset, Pumpkin Pie ink, Le plume black marker,
Liquid Pearls, Joanns polka dot ribbon
Supplies for card #2
Rockabella stamp, Basic Grey Boxer 6x6 paper, Sakura stardust pens,
Crate rub-on, Kraft cs, Georgia Pacific white cs, cardstock vellum,
Autumn Leaves Swirls stampset, Colorbox Chestnut brown chalk ink,
foam tape, MAMBI rhinestones, various Prismacolor markers.

No comments: