Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cupcake Challenge



Taylor of Taylored Expressions issued a cupcake challenge on Friday, as she does every Friday. Her challenge this week is a sketch challenge. Here is my attempt at her sketch.
I wanted to use my Just Celebrate set, since it's still pretty new, so I didn't use a cupcake...but a regular cake is close enough, right? After I stamped the cake, I colored it in with watercolor pencils and added yellow Stickles to the candle flames. I thought the candles needed an extra something so I gave them little polka dots with a fine tip marker. I don't think this shows very well in the photo, but if you click on it, you can see it a little better.
I had watched a Make a Card Monday video on Kristina Werner's blog where she used small circle punches to create a scalloped border - so that is what I did to create my scalloped frame. Later on in the card making process, I got an ink boo-boo on the edges of the cake image, so I covered the edges with dots of Liquid Pearls...I like how it gives the image a little oomph!
For the base of the card, I stamped Polka Dot in Basic Brown on Creamy Caramel cardstock, and then sponged the edges. Then came the Sultry paper that I had colored my image to match. To seperate it from the base, I attached some polka-dotted ribbon to the top and bottom. The buttons were the perfect accent for the circles in the original sketch. Finally came the sentiment, which was stamped with a Studio G alphabet (that I used on my last 2 cards as well - can you tell I like it yet?) and a little bling to brighten it up.
Supplies:
SU Just Celebrate stamp set, SU Polka Dot bg stamp, Studio G alphabet,
Versafine Onyx Black ink, SU Basic Brown ink,
Georgia Pacific white cardstock, SU Creamy Caramel and Regal Rose cardstock, Basic Grey 6x6 Sultry patterned paper,
Pro Art watercolor pencils and Niji Waterbrush, black Le Plume marker, yellow Stickles, Liquid Pearls,
1/2" circle punch, American Crafts ribbon, Making Memories buttons, Darice rhinestone

1 comment:

Taylor said...

So cute! I love the scalloped border around your image! Thanks for playing the challenge!